Thursday, May 1, 2008

Breathe, Meg.

It's 9am, and I'm ready to commit "Harry Carrey", as my friend Dawn would say.

What many moms of two kids so close together (and same gender) might understand, as intimately as I do, is that MOST of your time at home is spent keeping them separated...so as to avoid total bedlam in the house.
It's insane.
And it's so blessed exhausting.
You get one child happy (Benjamin, in this case) with an array of car stickers, glue sticks, cut out numbers and letters...and plenty of other medium. You set it up on the kitchen island so the younger one can't get to it.
But then the younger one wants nothing else than to get to the magic happening on the island.
So, screaming and crying child on your hip, you get desperate (because older child is having so much fun with his crafts, and you don't want to spoil it) and go retrieve a new garage sale toy out of the mudroom cupboard. It's a boring, wooden stove that sits on the ground...and is about as big as a small suitcase. It's not very special, but has wooden knobs that turn--and this is sure to delight your youngest child.
He's in heaven, and so are you...for about ten seconds, when older child realizes that younger one has this toy, and MUST play with it, too.

I don't need to go on...mostly because anyone who's been in this situation totally understands what's to unfold after that. But also because I don't have time.
It's enough that I've even been able to blog.
I whisked Benjamin up to his room (after much screaming, tantrum-throwing, step-sitting, and other blood-letting) to play at his car table.
He's happy, and Jonny's wandering around playing by himself.

I've downed one cup of coffee and consider this an accomplishment.

Bring on preschool.
Bring it.

5 comments:

Ann said...

Amen Sista! OMG--this was like our morning too...one is happy, one is not...other is happy...the other is not...on and on...then for a brief nano-second this a.m. they were both playing in their kitchen and sharing back and forth...it was heaven...then we were back to the competition---I have a t-shirt that reads "breathe"...sometimes I think I should wear it all the time! Here's to a good rest of the day...and perhaps something stronger to drink than coffee!

Megz said...

Oh my gosh...no kidding, right!?
Our day hasn't gotten any better, except now Jonny is down for a nap, and Benjamin's not too far behind.
I had to clean our upstairs bathroom after putting J down...it's therapy for me, srubbing away at grime and dirt. Don't ask me why.
Now it's time to do some laundry and all I want to do is crash on the couch!
Hope you're having a better day than I am!!!

Dina said...

Hey, wanna come clean MY bathroom while you're at it?!

Seriously though - a bottle of Mufartlar is on it's way. I agree with Ann...coffe ain't gonna cut it today...! :)

Hang in there!

Brenda P. said...

I hear ya. I dunno, does 3 years count as close? We have a lot of the same "Hey, what does he have?" moments going on around here, and my guys are 8 months and 3.75 yrs.

I often hear myself whining, "Eamonn, you haven't looked at that stuffed aligator for 2 years!"

At least it has become a good way to warn of the dangers of not picking up one's cars. If Eamonn (the 3 yr old) leaves his stuff lying around the baby crawls over and, oftentimes, barfs on it. So much more effective than just scolding...

How about a chilly vodka martini with 3 olives...a little wet, a little dirty. I call it liquid yoga.

Stephanie said...

So true . . I often think that they intentionally take turns being bad. Can't you just hear them discussing it: "OK, who's gonna be a total shit for this next half hour?" And the refereeing thing is out of control here, too. I try to stay out of it, but seriously, the screaming sometimes is too much. I actually had to apologize to our new neighbors for the amount of screaming coming from our house last week. Hang in there, it's almost the weekend!