Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Sidewalks

I remember when we were house hunting, a few years ago, and my father in law gave me a hard time for glorifying the "sidewalks" in EGR.
But he's not from here, so he doesn't understand.
Sidewalks exist everywhere...but for some reason, they're special here. At least I appreciate what they offer me in my life, mostly since we made the move to Santa Cruz. Let me illustrate, if I may, as it seems so many of my simplest of pleasures these days involve them.

Yesterday, when the 4pm case of delirium set in, I was able to "stroller it" up to Starbucks...and Jonny even got to get out a few times to inspect some sidewalk chalk art. It was even better once I had my coffee in hand.

Watching Lily McIntosh learn to ride her two-wheeler tonight, all four of us adults going apeshit over each pedal stroke.

Sitting cross-legged on ours while watching my boys run around the front yard, and up and down the driveway.

Teaching Benjamin to play hopscotch on them.

Walking them to a neighbor friends' house...especially tonight, as Brian and I were both in need of a drink, and Matt and Katie came walking down their front drive with Stellas in hand, as though anticipating our arrival.

The fact that I can take ours to so many fabulous places...the lake...the library...the Bucks...the park...Ms Joaaaannnnnn's (that's how we pronounce her name)...even Allie's house.

Also, the PLG fact that I can accidentally leave our McClaren stroller out on ours overnight, and it's still there the next morning.:) (Brian, if you're reading this, it only happened once, I swear...)


At the end of the day, it's just a personal thing, I guess. Something that I place value on, mostly because I grew up with them. And whenever I think about that huge, spacious house we were looking at out in Forest Hills....I think about the sidewalks we'd be missing, and all the places we'd be missing out on walking to as a result.
Brian and I were walking home tonight with the boys, Jonny screaming because his diaper was beyond dirty and so was his face...and he'd fallen on their driveway twice....and Benjamin, "driving" his cozy coupe car, at a snail's pace...but Brian and I were just laughing the whole way home.
Mostly because it was a short walk.
Even more likely because we were both a little buzzed.

Anyway, I love you Dave Richards...and even though I know there's no way in hell you're reading this, I need to tell you that I was right about this one.

They do matter.:)
At least to me.

3 comments:

Dina said...

LOVE this post!

And let me get it on the record, man how I wish we were the neighbors that "came walking down their front drive with Stellas in hand, as though anticipating our arrival." Wait, that might be dangerous...

Sarah said...

The so DO matter! I felt the same way finding our house...our street is reminiscent of the street I grew up on and it is the best.

Stephanie said...

Yep, I'm not missing the larger house in Forest Hills at all. Well, maybe the larger YARD. But I love the walkability we have here! Hope to bump into you guys on the sidewalk soon!