Tuesday, April 29, 2008

B.L.O.G. stands for...

Bragging
Like
Others might
Give-a-good-god-damn

Pardon my candor.
But sometimes I fear that this is what I sound like, especially when detailing my kids' latest moments of precious endearment or hilarity.
But here I go, anyway.

Benjamin is just so unbelievably enthusiastic. I mean bursting with unbridled enthusiasm and positivity. Granted, not all the time...but I tell you, when he's happy to be somewhere, or with someone, it's impossible for him to hide how he's feeling.
The following most recent of examples are just a few I'd like to share.

So, if you feel like skipping this post, as you're not in the mood for reading about how amazing someone else's kid is...I'll say this to you: Feel no remorse.
You're disinterest is compeltely justifiable...and I get it.

But here are my latest faves, anyway.

*Jumps to his feet during a recognizable Laptime song: "Haha...Miss Trish! Look! I'm dancing! This is so fun!"
(lots of deadpan faces on other parents...a few awkward looking kids trying to find the beat...and a few nods of support from other moms--thank God)


*walking into Miss Margaret's class last week, after being gone for a few weeks, announces: "Miss Margaret, whatcha doin? Are we gonna paint today? I'm just so happy to see you...Wow! Look at all the kids!"
(notices, while making his grand entrance, that there are about 4 to 5 new faces, and very unenthusiastic parents accompanying them--this last detail was only noticed by me, but was noteworthy, I felt...kinda bummed me out...at any rate, his enthusiasm is undaunted by the new faces, and I couldn't have been more proud in noticing)

*tonight, as I was helping him color in his Lightning McQueen coloring book...he abruptly got to his feet, and threw his hands to his mouth, and uttered "Oh...my...gosh! This is just so beautiful!" (my eyes were like saucers...and I hardly knew how to respond...just loved that moment)

*says to Annabel, while playing in her backyard last Friday night, and discovering her array of sweet toys--"Annabel, are these your favorite toys? I just love them!"
(and you gotta love Annabel, who responded with "oh yeah, they're pretty great"...the two of them are the exact same age...it's great hearing them have conversations)

*Annabel's mom and dad told Brian and me, last Saturday morning, that after we left their house Friday night Annabel sat on the front porch, chin resting in her hands, and said..."you know...this was fun...having everyone over....". We laughed so hard and just marveled at how adorable it was...and when I later told Benjamin that Annabel had been so happy he'd come over the night before, he said, "Well, Mommy...it was fun. And I just really love Annabel."
(I see prom date in the future. Or partner in unapproved activity...they're behind us and a few houses up...dangerous.)

*when I told Benjamin this morning that we were going to the park soon, and to find his Crocs...his response was: "Oh my goodness...we're going to the park! Jonny!!?? Do you know that? Are you excited? It's gonna be so much fun!"
(killed me. just killed me.)


Suffice it to say, I love this child.
And his obvious appreciation for others and everything else that makes his daily life so much damn fun.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

These are great! I wish you had been at my Dad's talk a couple weeks ago. This is the kind of stuff he discussed...obviously you are doing EVERYTHING right in raising an optimistic child! He will be so better equiped to handle what life brings his way (both good and not so good) with all that great support, happiness and "safe-feeling" behind him. I say - don't be embarrased for sharing what is fantatic and what, sadly, a lot of kids are missing because parents aren't great at encouraging it. Yeah for optimism!!

Ann said...

So fun!!! Also so funny that we were channeling each other's brains by posting about our children!!! Can't wait for you guys to visit and to see the cousins play together!!! Lots of adventures to be had in the woods!

Dina said...

Seriously, he is one of the cutest kids EVER! This post made me remember when he busted out with, "Mark! It's SOOOO good to SEEEEE you!" last time we were in GR. Damn, that kid is precious!