Thursday, May 15, 2008

Change We Can Believe In




First off, a few thanks to the following:

*Sarah, for scoring a parking pass from her new neighbor, and for the ride.
*The Bergsmas, for saving us seats in Van Andel--you guys rock!
*Brian, for keeping things going on the homefront so I could go.
*Elliot Bergsma, for being the first kid I've ever seen NOT to have a total meltdown in a restaurant...when the food didn't arrive until after 8pm.

So obviously it was a once in a lifetime, well-worth-the-effort experience for all! We arrived at the doors of Van Andel in good time, with only a five minute wait (at best) to get in...during which we enjoyed taking in the hub-ub and mayhem, etc. Once inside, we called Shawn on his cell and made our way to their section, where (as mentioned) they were holding seats for us. Was awesome. Just walking down the stairs to our seats, and seing the stage set up...the podium...and the "Obama '08" sign all lit up on the scoreboard, it was energizing. That, and they were playing U2. Gotta love that. I don't care what your political leanings are, when you're in a crowd like that, with such enthusiasm and anticipation, the goosebumps are inevitable.

We sat down, and right away I got a call from Brian on my cell saying that all the major news pundits were spreading word that Edwards was rumored to be there...and that he was going to endorse Obama during his speech.
Totally exciting...because we would get to see him, but also because it was such a pivotal point in the campaign. The endorsement has been inevitable according to many, but the timing (if you follow recent politics) was clearly deliberate.
And I'll avoid going any further into that discussion. Because by now, Gaby, you're already yelling at me in Romanian for even going to the damn thing. :)

So Obama gets introduced by a local PLG high school student, and then the "Beautiful Day" by U2 starts in, SUPER loud and with lots of bass (sounds cheesey, but if you'd been there you would've been so pumped)...and onto the stage bursts the man himself, with a confident stride/hop up onto the platform.
He greeted the crowd and pretty much dove right into an introduction of John Edwards...who was equally inspiring when he graced the stage.
His speech was particularly exciting, as it included his official endorsement of Obama for the presidential nominee...and Barack's speech, though obviously a "stump" speech, was equally exciting. Even though we couldn't see the whites of his eyes, it was just so incredible to be looking at him standing there, and hearing his voice...which is just as commanding and powerful in person.

Overall, an incredible performance for both politicians. And at the very end, when Barack was getting ready to leave the stage and doing the required, enthusiastic wave in all directions...when he looked in our direction, I felt like I got a real look at him for the first time that evening--square on--and it gave me goosebumps.

Afterward, a bit of hilarity ensued.
We left the arena and managed to stay together amidst the masses, mostly thanks to Shawn Bergsma's ever-visible head bobbin above the crowd.
And then, much like people do at Disney World, we flocked to an area where people were gathering in some sort of line/mob, with no indication whatsoever as to what we were "waiting for". But it soon became clear that Obama was possibly going to make an appearance at that particular spot. There was a small platform set up, just outside a few private access doors to the arena, and there were secret service and policeman standing by. We had a MONEY spot, right up against the metal railing where he would have come out...and had he made an appearance, he would've been close enough for a handshake, even an autograph.
But after waiting for almost 45 minutes, we were given word that he wasn't coming...that he had planned on making an appearance, but at the last minute decided against it.

So off to The Black Rose we went for food/drink/post-rally-recap.

Now, because I know I would be remiss if I didn't mention the following, I have to tell the ultimate PLG story of the night. Sarah, you know right where I'm headed.:)
We're sitting in our seats, listening to Edwards talk about poverty in America...the price of gasoline...etc. And you hear the usual "right on!", "no kidding!", "yes!" and "tell it, brotha!" types of comments with every example of injustice he mentions.
Sarah's on my left, and my mom's on my right.
My mom's busy texting someone (as usual), so in my periphery I have a good view of the two women sitting next to her. They're a bit on the, how shall I say......somewhat downtrodden and "ready for change"side. Many of their shout-outs are along the lines of "mmm-hmm...that's right...bout time!" They're totally psyched to be there, but even when people stand up, shift and fidget about in their seats with enthusiasm, and pump fists in the air...these two ladies remain calm in their seats, sitting back, with their arms folded casually over the jackets in their laps.
It's as though they're in their own living room watching the whole thing on tv.

So when Edwards says, at the end of a long list of things that are too expensive in our current economical climate..."and the price of meat!", the lady just to my mom's right says, in a totally conversational tone--- "I can't even afford to buy no red meat."

I'm watching Edwards and generally following his speech, but when I hear this, my eyes are like saucers and I get this huge grin on my face...and immediately pinch Sarah to share the little nugget.
We agree that it is brilliant, and undoubtedly the PLG quote of the night.

What an amazing evening on all fronts.

Rock on, Obama...rock on.

8 comments:

Dina said...

WOO! WOO!
Thank you for the recap! I got all excited just reading your story. I'm SUCH a LOSER! But holy cow, I am so excited for you that you got to be there!
When I was watching the news coverage on TV last night and saw Edwards at the rally, not only was I doubly jealous (LOVE Edwards... almost as much as Obama) I have to shamelessly admit that this ran through my head: "Damn, that bitch got to see them BOTH!"
Ok, is it wierd that I'm this pumped about your evening...and I wasn't even there? Back to reality - off to clean the bathroom. Yuck.
p.s. Holy shit - that red meat comment - HILARIOUS!

Sarah said...

Ahhhh PERFECT recap of our evening! As you can see from my blog, that was all I could put together at 11 p.m. last night in my haze from the evening. :)
And by the way...ground chuck is on sale, "buy one, get one free" at Meijer-dog right now...
hahahahaha.....

Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann said...

Okay-so the deleted comment was mine...take two!! So excited you guys got in and your recap was wonderful!!! If you may know...and now you will...I am one of "those" Republicans being courted by Obama...sooo Hillary if you are out there...reading this blog and my post...kindly throw your white flag so we can get on with this race!! Poor Clare everytime she catches a glimpse of Obama on the T.V. she asks...is he President yet? Finally...the red meat comment...priceless...simply priceless!

Shawn said...

Is that the guy from Venezuela on your shirt?

(there is a back story for that one)

That Elliot is a good lookin' kid.

Megz said...

Hahaha...it's all in the chest, Shawn. All in the chest.

Ann--they were selling "Republicans for Obama" pins...should've gotten you one!

Stephanie said...

Many thanks for the well-told recap; it mitigates the tiniest bit of my deep depression that I had to miss it. Inspirational, hilarious, interesting . . . the usual Ms. Richards. Bravo!

Gaby said...

That is truly an awesome experience, one that I wouldn't have missed either :) I may have concerns about the man, but he is inspiring, and I think Clare is one smart little lady.. he will be our next president!!

Kudos Megalish!!!!