Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Same Time, Different Kid

Jonathan is 20 months old.
It was approximately this age at which Benjamin was first showing interest in learning colors...at least that's what I remember. And that's not saying much, as I was still in the haze of sleep deprivation with Jonathan during those days.
But my point--is that I remember teaching Benjamin about colors all the time. In the car, in books, on TV...his food, clothing, etc. He was totally into it. And picked up on all of the colors really quick. Shapes, too...which still surprises me.

So, of course I expect the same thing with Jonathan.

Hold on sister, not so fast.

This is me, not ten minutes ago:
I had just come across our torn and tattered copy of Eric Carle's "My First Book of Colors" as I was putting things away in the mud room. I look over at Jonathan, who's wearing a bright yellow pretend construction hat on his head (sideways) and smashing his hands into playdough on the train table.
I make a quick mental note to show it to him as I finish straightening up...
Benjamin's asleep, so I take the perfect opportunity to bond with Jonny over colors.

I beckon him over to where I'm sitting, perched at the step into the kitchen...he lumbers over happily, hat still sideways, and reaches for the book. Takes one look at it (my eyes are bright and big as I announce it has "colors!" in it) and throws it at my face.
I'm not kidding.
And then, as I try and act like that hadn't just happened, and that his older brother's love for colors and shapes is just wanting to be pulled out by my relentless efforts....I give it another go. But this time he's not even listening, even as he stands right in front of me.
Instead, he's trying to chew off a fruit snack that's stuck to the front of his shirt...one hand with a pincer grip on the chew itself, the other on his hat, which is about to fall off.
You'd think there was an ice cream sundae attached to the fruit chew.

Anyway, I think the teaching portion of our afternoon has given way to a much less fruitful (no pun intended...no, seriously...) activity.

This very moment, as I type, the Shark dust buster is revving up in the other room.

You get the point.

5 comments:

Dawn Word said...

Jonny is gonna be just like Parker! ;) Only way through it, my friend is a bottle in one hand and the phone in your other! ;) Sooo can relate! MWAH!
D

Stephanie said...

And THIS, Meg, is why you and I are tearing our hair out over having two: We had a first one, who was sensitive and high-maintenance in his/her own way, and then we had a second one, who was a total terror. Why, oh why, didn't we get a nice, laid-back, type-B personality second child? Must we have a third? Or would that put us right over the edge?

Wish we could "relate" at the park tomorrow; we have a playdate at our house with a little friend for Annie. Some other time!

Megz said...

D--Love seeing you in my blog.:)

Steph--Over the edge? I think so...I just told Brian my uterus isn't open for business until Obama's running for his second term.:)
We'll miss you tomorrow! But this will give me a chance to makeout with Sarah, so if I'm being honest...ya kinda did me a solid there.

ctadhankins said...

Yuck... seeing the word uterus just made me want to take a hiatus from reading your blog! And about my sister no less! AAAAAAHHHHHH!
Why not have Brian just "cut the cord" and sparty on!
PS- I'm bringing Addie over to compete for 2nd child terror award...

Megz said...

Oh, for the love, Chrisopher. You are ridic.
Newsflash: I have a uterus. I also have boobs. And even MORE scandalous? I occasionally have sex...it's how you got those two adorable nephews.
Oh, and every month I menstruate.

LMAO.
Need I write about how many girls I've had to watch you make out with right in front of me through the years? (the MSU days left a scar, seriously)

I love that you are skeeved by that stuff. Jon would probably ask me more about "what the uterus is and how it works" and then say things like "wow...the miracle of life...isn't it amazing?".
And then there's you with your "C'mon!!!"
Ahh, the differences.