Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Imagination Station

I have some hilarious bits of Benjamin to share...if for no other reason, than to eradicate the piss and vinegar of late yesterday from my blog.

Anyway, Benjamin's imagination has been on overdrive this week. And I shall share a few examples:

*Yesterday, while I was cleaning the bathroom upstairs, he and Jonny were playing in Brian's and my room...which never ends well, I should add. Jonathan usually ends up behind the tv messing with cords, or Benjamin will try to make a fort under our bed...or worse, lately, Jonathan's been trying to climb the bookcase. Anyway, as I'm cleaning the toilet yesterday (hey, I'm accurate in my stories if nothing else), I notice it's a bit too quiet in there...and go in to find them both sitting, hands in laps, in the back of our closet. When I find them, they both burst out in giggles..and Benjamin says,

"Mommaayy! We're having a TV show!"

"You are?" I say. "What show is it? Can I watch?"

"Um, um..." (stumped by the sudden need to name the show) "...it's the...the...McDonald's TV Show! And we're making ham-boogers!"

"Oooh...I'd love to watch how that's done" I say. "How do you make them?"

(p.s. Jonny is, the whole time, just holding his hands in his lap, butt-happy grin on his face, looking back and forth from Benjamin's face to mine...anxious for whatever is to come next)

"Well," says Benjamin, "we need to work verrrryy carefully. And you can have fries and grapes while you wait!"

Grapes?

*Next story: this morning, as I'm checking my email (bad mommy, bad mommy) I hear the two of them rustling around in the dining room. Just as I turn around to see what's going on, I find Benjamin hauling the giant oriental rug from that room into the kitchen...all rolled up and all. Then I go into the dining room to see the table (it's a small table, with wheels on the legs) up against the window.

"Mommaayy! It's a new big car wash! And if it's your birthday, you can use it. Ok, Mommy?"

"Hmm, it's not my birthday" I say.

"But, but...but...ok, Mommy, you can use it. Everybody can use it!"

"Wow, how inclusive of you, Bud...so, do I crawl through it?"

"Yes, but you need your car, Mommy."

High-larious.


I know in every other household there are a million stories like these...and they just crack me up. Love the little imaginations at work. When my nieces play restaurant and "take my order", I seriously want to pee. Like when Addie, my 3year old niece, is writing down all the things I want to eat on her notepad...and without even looking up at me, or skipping a beat, says,
"...and to drink?"

Lately, whenever Benjamin wants something to eat, he tells me his "tummy wants something to eat". Talk about a reminder that, while our little ones have active imaginations, their minds are also incredibly literal. If I ask him if he's hungry...he'll just say "Yeah, Mommy...I am...but my tummy is telling me."

The boy's in touch.
Love it.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Love the pretend play...follows real life so closely and then they throw a creative 3 year old twist to it...yesterday Addie and Clare were taking their babies (one is named Mauriceeo) to South Africa...but I believe Benjamin and Jonny's house was one of the stops along their very long journey--lol!

Also--to comment on your 5lb summer gain...I hear ya...for me...too many fun, fun extended weekends and animal crackers....I am oddly addicted to them...I mean ADDICTED--Seattle is a good goal...long enough to lose the 5lbs...but not so far off that you can put it off...make sense? Happy Wednesday!