Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Sippy Cups are not for Chardonnay...

I stole that line from a book title...a book I own, actually. Anyway, it basically captures the essence of how I'm feeling after our trip out east.
We all love our kids...so much it hurts, really. And even in the midst of the tiring and chaotic moments, if any one of us (who I'm speaking for here I really haven't a clue...just play along) was asked if we wanted to change a bit of it, we wouldn't.
I'll speak for myself here...when I say that I love my life. I love the "sippy cups". I love the dirty counters, because of the sense of accomplishment I feel when I scour them clean after lunch. I love the floor of the backseat in our Explorer...because it's absolutely, horribly, undeniably, 100% DISGUSTING...but I know I'm not alone. And I love that at the end of the day I'm often satisfied by a re-run of Law and Order...or an episode of my latest reality nonsense. As long as I'm with Brian. Well, ok, he's pretty tied up with his Fastasy Football these days, so I'm often alone...but you get the idea. I require very little.
I love all of these things because they are the reminders of everyday life with my family. My absolute three favorite people on the planet.
And I won't go into how much I adore the little spot on Jonathan's temples when I kiss it and smash my face against it...or how big and wise Benjamin's eyes are that I just want to die.
Because that's just more of the same...the stuff of my love affair with these boys.

And yet...there comes a time when we (Brian and I) recognize the need for more adult time. Time with eachother, alone...not a sippy cup in sight.
And of course, a nice glass of wine.

This is how we started our trip--it was a bloody mary, actually, but it was heaven.
We had a two hour layover at O'Hare, but anyone who would've walked by our table at the Chili's in the airport would've seen two people who looked as though they'd reached their destination...both enjoying an adult beverage and a tasty meal, minus paper menus with pictures of animals on them, crayons, puff-snacks, goldfish....etc. They were casually poking at their food, chattering on about Obama vs. Hillary, what they were going to do on their trip, what that girl was thinking wearing jeans so low and tight (ok, that one was all Meg), and how fabulous it all felt just to be by themselves.
And here was the most alarming observation one might have made about this couple: they were looking at eachother whilst they were talking.

Annnyway, enuf of the melodrama.:)
It was an amazing time. And obviously it began from the very moment we set out on our own. The two of us manage to get out for "dates" about once every other week...so it's not as though we don't know what it's like to be out without kids. It's just that when you're away from home, on your own schedule, headed for a hotel that you will be staying in without a pack-n-play...it's just different.
The hotel was great.
Fantastic sheets, pillows, bath products...and the best of all, it was free! Brian's travel points paid for our entire three night stay in the Marriott...conveniently blocks away from Mark and Dina's place in Arlington. As much as I hate it when Brian travels, this is one of those times that I'm grateful for the perks!
We enjoyed our time with Mark and Dina, of course.
Friday night was ridiculous. No other way to describe it. Sheer craziness and fun. Fabulous Mexican food in Adams Morgan (a DC neighborhood), a fun wine bar (that no one needed!), and the entire evening culminating in a spin in the Lewin hot tub.
With more bottles of wine...and hilarious conversations.
And makeshift bathing suits.
A night never to be forgotten...or remembered in the short term. LOL

Saturday was the winery...and though some of us were still a bit in "recovery mode" from the night before, it was a great time. We enjoyed touring the wineries and sitting outside. There were a couple of moments where I found myself in sheer heaven, just sitting against Brian, or lying on the grass...totally free of responsibility. And drinking wine...uggh. Was nice.

Sunday we had brunch down in Old Town and did a little shopping...went for a walk along the waterfront with our PSLs (pumpkin spice lattes).
Brian, Mark, Dina and Anthony left to continue their day, while I waited to meet up with my girl. Dawn met me about a half hour later, and we shopped a bit before heading back out towards her end of town. Doesn't really matter what we did for the rest of the afternoon...the point here is that it was just so incredibly fun to be hanging out with her again. Miss her all the time and just wish I could see her more! Whenever we hang out I'm reminded of how much we are alike...and how grateful I am that we ever became friends. :)
Brian and I enjoyed a yummier-than-yummy sushi dinner out with Dawn and Christian that night. Lots of scrumptious sushi, good laughs, embarrassing stories told...and of course, Brian and Christian feverishly checking their respective Blackberries for Fastasy updates.
Ridic.

The trip was fantastic...and yet...the best part was yet to come.
The walk down the hallway at the airport, where my mom was waiting with our two little brown heads waiting for us.
Benjamin took off in a full sprint when he saw us, practically knocking me over with a hug. His laugh/giggle/shriek/hysterical screams were absolutely precious...it was as though he had just won the lotto.
Jonathan was on my mom's hip, fashioning his most energetic version of "helicopter arms" I'd seen to date. Grabbing him and squeezing him...pressing my face into the side of his cheeks...was the best.
Man.
I don't know when I've been so stinkin excited.
Seriously.

And so...I come to the end of my narrative.
But I stand by my original sentiment: there's something very special about getting away and enjoying some "chardonnay" away from home. Sure, you have those brief moments of guilt and sadness (this is a good place to mention the mess of tears and mascara I had upon being dropped off at the airport last Friday morning).
But having those moments away are what make the every day business of life so much more special.
And though it's ok to have the occasional cosmo at a 4pm playgroup with friends...sometimes ya really need to just create some distance to appreciate the wine. **wink**

It's how I feel, anyway.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Great recap! Glad you guys had a blast! This makes me feel better for having played phone tag with you today...I have been updated! ha ha...looking forward to a drink with you tomorrow night! Could I use more exclamation points??!! Lame...