Saturday, October 6, 2007

Mmmm, clean carpet smell.

The carpet cleaners just left, and I am in heaven. Our carpeted areas in the house are freshly washed, brand-new-looking, and smell great.
We've been collecting stains for several months now...wine, spit-up, coffee, you name it...but after Benjamin's puking episodes on Monday, it was time to call Dave-our trusty carpet cleaner. He and I are on a first name basis now, as he's been here with his crew about 3 times now since we moved in...a super friendly guy, and they do an amazing job.
Only snafoo was that he got here earlier than I'd expected. Brian's out returning a friend's trailer on the other side of town with Benjamin...and then they're headed to Krispy Kreme to have their "morning bonding time". Jonny and I have been hangin here, with a quick trip to the Bucks drive-thru for mommy. Just as we were getting home from that errand, and I was swiftly making a bottle and putting him down for his morning nap...big ol' knock on the door, an hour early. Guess their last job was shorter than they'd thought...whatever, just meant I had to hightail it and pick ALL OUR SHIT UP in a matter of minutes. In my ever-reliable proctrastinating nature, I'd planned on putting toys, clothes, trash, furniture, etc...all away and out of the path of the carpet cleaners...all during that hour. But I had to do it in 5 minutes instead.
Got my workout in without even going to the gym!
Meanwhile, J wakes up after being down for 10 minutes and has a poopy diaper...so I get that changed, and pray to God that he goes back down.
And he does, gratefully.
I tell the cleaners to go to the upstairs bedroom last (B's room was the second site where he booted on Monday)...hoping J will be asleep by the time they get up there.
They haul in all of their machines and hoses and begin making a shitload of noise...and I keep running to the bottom of the stairs to listen for any "who's messin up my nap-mojo?!?" rumblings from Jonathan. Cleaners are workin away, but so far so good.
Dave's sidekick, who didn't get the memo about when to go upstairs, decides to head upstairs with his giant hose (insert sarcasm here if you wish) and barges into Jonathan's room, realizes it might not be the room I'd needed cleaning, then comes to the top of the stairs and shouts down at me--"M'aam? Which room was it? There's a baby sleepin in this one!"
In my horror, I rush upstairs and show him the designated area in B's room...he revs up the machine and starts in again.
I cringe.
We've got a retreat up north later today with our youth group, and I know both boys will be getting shitty sleep...so I'm really counting on this morning nap for J.
I creep into his room, somewhat alarmed that I haven't heard him yet...and find him on his tummy, legs sprawled, arms out in a T-formation...and the binky at rest, just inches from his face.
My little dude. Couldn't believe it.
On a normal day, he would've been wide-awake-in-America long before Senor Dingbat came barging into his room..but not today, I guess.:)

So he's sleeping, and I'm finishing up some laundry. Benjamin and Brian will be home in a bit, and then it's time to get him fed and off to his own nap. We leave this afternoon for Camp Henry with the youth group for an overnight. Should be lots of fun, and great for the boys, especially B. Fortunately, we have two middle schoolers coming up to help with the boys...so they'll spend a lot of time in our "lodge" with them, freeing us up to be the spectacular youth leaders that we are.
I'm so sure.
Looking forward to the overnight, though...it's always a really rich time with the high-schoolers. And a tiring one, as they don't seem to go to bed much before 2am...but oh well.
Of course, I shall return with plenty of pictures (shocker).

Off to change the laundry. And think about my own lunch. And figure out how we're going to finish packing and loading kids up without touching our carpet.


1 comment:

Sarah said...

Wow - I can't believe you did an overnight...I need details ASAP!