Monday, August 18, 2008

"Let's take a look in here..."


Benjamin at his first dentist appointment a few weeks ago.
PLG.
He did so great, by the way--even let them clean and polish his little chicklets!
Anyway, I've been all over the map the last week or so...in truth, we all have. Seems everyone is busier than ever the past few weeks. Perhaps trying to savor the last bit of summer. I know we have. Orchard Hills, the beach, the park (during school hours), BBQs with neighbors, sprinkler fun, kiddie pool fun...lazy Sunday afternoons with neighbors...all things that seem, suddenly, to have this giant expiration date on them. Like they've been hit with the "use by this date" sticker gun at the grocery store.
So I guess we're just doing our best not to be frantic in our last few weeks of summer...this past weekend we spent a night out with some friends drinking beer, playing darts, drinking more beer...and eventually eating ultras at Yesterdog. Talk about a perfect night!
Anyway, we were yet again made aware of how fortunate we are in the kind of friends we've made.
Saturday we had one of the best Orchard Hills outings on the books.
The boys each ventured out a "little further" than before on their own...proving to have grown a bit more brave in the water this summer. And Benjamin actually laughed hysterically when Brian flew torpedo-like out of the mouth of the slide into the water...instead of crying and yelling because Daddy was having fun without him.
Ridic.
The boys made friends in the sand play area and helped fashion a rather impressive river of water. Jonathan mostly scooped sand and piled it...then jumped in it. But he was having such a blast and was--get this--in one spot for almost an entire 30 minute span!!! Brian and I were like..."um...why didn't we bring this morning's paper?"
Yesterday I spent most of the morning making lists for Brian about everything one might need to know in order to properly care for the 3 and under crowd in our house.
Gluten-free food on hand, what time Laptime is at the library, Kidfit at the MAC, what to pack for the pool...and basically how to keep Jonathan from running away, jumping off or climbing on furniture, removing safety plugs from outlets, submerging fresh rolls of toilet paper in the toilet bowl....and all other Dennis the Menace-style mischief that happens when you refill your coffee.
I also did heaps of laundry and actually got it all put away...and short of drawing a map to the boys' dressers and writing out a list of "acceptable outfit combinations"...I think Brian will be just fine assembling outfits.
You laugh, but last week he brought Benjamin to the MAC in Jonny's size 24mos sweat shorts.
Why all of this frenzied preparation?
I leave for Seattle on Wednesday!
Needless to say, I'm beginning to feel the tug on my heart about leaving home...not because I worry at all about the boys, but because I haven't ever been away from them (alone!) for this long. And I know they'll be fine, but holy cow...I'm going to miss them.
But something tells me once I'm on the plane with my book, stash of magazines...and bloody mary (don't worry bout it), I'm going to be juuuuust fine.:)
So, life is good.
Really good, in fact.
Busy, often angst-ridden, messy and chaotic...but also incredibly fun.
In my usual fashion, I go from "Meggy-meltdowns" about how disorganized and messy the house is...to deciding at 4pm that a neighborhood BBQ is just what our Sunday evening needed.
At our house.
But you know what?
It was a blast.
Kitchen, mudroom, backyard, family room....all had been cleaned that afternoon, and were filthy by the time the last set of neighbors went home.
One day there will be continuity in my life...or maybe even my blog entries.
Probably about the time we take Jonathan to college.
Until then, whatever it is we have in this family, it seems to be working.

No comments: