Monday, August 25, 2008

How comforting, really...

...to know how right I am about certain things. And not in an ego sort of way, but rather in that reassuring way of realizing I know myself pretty damn well. As a result, I seem to know my brother just as well...as we are practically the same person.

Which means I could've predicted the following about my Seattle trip:

*I would find a new strength and appreciation for my "job".

*I would be able to connect with my brother in a way that is 100% impossible with kids around.

*Being in Seattle would give me the chance to see Jon in a different, more authentic light...it may not always be the city he calls home, but for now it is his home, and with Jon...well, that makes all the difference in what it's like to spend time with him.

*Coffee really does taste better in the Northwest.

*No one makes me laugh quite like my brother. No one.

*I don't exercise well on vacation.

*My seven jeans were a good investment. They do get better the more you wear them.

*Bloody marys are great by themselves, but just too filling with a meal.

*The air in the Northwest will always feel cleaner and more invigorating to me.

*Public transportation was cooler in my twenties. Somehow it smells more now.

*I'll never, I repeat never, be able to walk into an Aveda store and walk out without buying anything.

*My brother loves music. And you must be prepared to love it with him.

*Jonathan knows no stranger...or obstacle.

*I dig hippies. But I'll never be down with armpit hair.

*Beer tastes better in Seattle. But makes me fart just the same.

*I am actually pretty damn good at the game of pool.


The list goes on...though, unfortunately, doesnt get much more interesting. So I shall end it with the following items--or truths, if you will--that have been made more clear than I can ever remember:

*There is nothing more precious in the world than time spent with my boys.

*There is nothing more fulfilling than time spent with my boys.

*There are no other cheeks as soft and kisssable as my boys'.

*And there is nothing more intense or primal than the pull you feel when it's time to go home to them.

Cheers to Seattle...to my brother...I love you both.

But obviously the best part of my trip was getting off the plane in Grand Rapids.
I'm home!

1 comment:

Ann said...

Sounds like you had a great time...always good to have time away to visit, take time for yourself and of course always good to come home refreshed! Post some pics when you get a chance ;-)