Thursday, December 11, 2008

On the Same Page

We (parents, anyway) are all-too familiar with the importance of this with our spouse when raising children.

Well, today was not what I'd call Benjamin's best day.
And preschool pickup was not even close to what I'd call his best moment at school.
But I'll save that for another post.

All I need, all I feel the immediate urgency to share, is just how seriously my husband is taking this whole "same page" thing we talked about (under our breath) at dinner. Not that this was the first time we'd broached the subject, mind you...rather today's version of reinforcing the importance of it.
You get it.

Not two minutes ago, I'm kneeling down at Benjamin's level, at the bottom of our stairs...where he has just sat for three minutes (and cried and whined) for throwing a block at his brother's head. Brian is upstairs getting the bath ready for the boys, Jonny is recovering from his wounds in the TV room...and I am giving Benjamin my very BRIEF "why are you here?" and "this is where you'll land next time it happens" speech.

Benjamin is sucking on his fingers (unexplainable, gross new habit he's developed for moments of nervousness---including in front of the church last Sunday, but I digress) and listening to me, his eyes looking at the ground...my face butt-serious, my voice not angry, but direct and unflinching.

That is, until I notice a tall figure walking across the top of the stairs, ever so casually...with his pants around his ankles.
Biggest "I'm a pretty f***ing funny guy" expression on his face.

"What, Mommy?" Benjamin says...noticing it might just be party time: aka--"Mommy's not mad anymore".

"Nothing, Benjamin" I say...adding, for emphasis, "absolutely nothing up there."

Anyone ever tries to tell you their husband's "totally on the same page" with them, they're lying through their teeth.
Either that, or I'm married to a 12 year old.

5 comments:

Ann said...

lol--I know...their inner twelve year old comes out at the most unexpected times...and it tends to manifest in the pants pulled down take a look at this fashion--Chris even throws in an Anchorman quote..."don't tell me your not impressed"...have a glass of wine...it makes it more entertaining!

Megz said...

I am dying (even though it's my brother--eww!) at the Anchorman quote...LOL...always forget how damn funny that movie is.

Oh, and glass of wine?
Check.

Michael said...

12 year old, definately married to a twelve year old

Dina said...

I am DYING right now!!!

Dawn Word said...

OMG - Brian and Christian are TWINS... scares me to read this bc C has done this identical thing!! At the worst possible time (not that there IS a good time for that show! LOL). Killin me...