Friday, June 20, 2008

Thunder Road

Hahaha...so cheesy.

This song has actually gotten quite a bit of playtime on all of the major media outlets the last week, with Tim Russert's passing. Needless to say, Brian and I were huge fans of his...uggh...why didn't I post about that last weekend?
Anyway, the song's been in the back of my head a lot lately, for obvious reasons.

But then I listened to it on my ipod yesterday while I was running...it's on my playlist, as it's always been one of my all-time favorite songs. And easily in my top 3 Springsteen songs.
An ex-boyfriend of mine, who shall remain nameless...though, I've only had a few...used to make fun of me for liking Bruce Springsteen.
And even though I wanted nothing more than to impress the socks off of this particular guy...I never gave in on this one. Rubbed his face in it, actually. Played it on jukeboxes in bars in Chicago...

Thunder Road is just one of the best songs of all time, and if you have an ipod, I suggest downloading it for your next workout.:)
Listening to it the other day, I was immediately reminded of the many times I would jam out to the song in my tiny room in my apartment on Orchard Ave (ironic) in Chicago...door closed, jumping up and down and dancing with my arms in the air...singing at the top of my lungs..."Whoa, oh...come take my hand...we're headin out tonight to case the promiseland..."

For some reason it also makes me think of all the fun, carefree times Brian and I had living in the city...the many nights hopping from bar to bar...playing pool...darts...going bowling...and always, walking home down Walton at the end of the evening.
And yes, many evenings would include me sitting on the front stoop swearing that I couldn't go inside until we walked up Western to the local McDonald's.
But I'm just saying.
Among the more memorable, though, were nights of laughs with friends over Rolling Rock beer at The Rainbow...where we'd spend more $$ on the photo booth for black and white photos of us than we would on our actual bar tab. Finding a strip of goofy pics in my purse the next morning was almost a regular occurrance.

Oh...I guess I'm a bit nostalgic.
Why, you ask?
Because we're going to Chicaggy tomorrow...just Brian and me...for the first time, staying in the city without kids.
I've been without him, he's been without me...but we haven't been together since longer than I can remember.
We'll be visiting Denise and Paul, and I couldn't be more excited. On the agenda is a visit to our old neighborhood...and Brian doesn't know this, but I'm planning on ringing the buzzer at 2335 W. Walton to see if we can go in and take a peek.
At the very least I'm going to sit on the front stoop for a bit.:)

Not that I'm sentimental.
Also on the agenda is a trip to the Diversey River Bowl...one of our most favorite haunts. If memory serves, they have Hacker Pschorr (dude, sp?) on tap. But then again, that was 6 years ago.:)

At any rate, I'm excited for a great weekend away...even though I'll miss my two little cherubs.
But...in the words of The Boss (somewhere there's an ex-boyfriend cringing right now)...

"Show a little faith, there's magic in the night...you aint no beauty, but hey you're allll-right....oh...but that's alright with me."

Um, not sure what that means.
But I love it.

4 comments:

Dina said...

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!

We are heading to a wine fest in Richmond for the day, sans Anthony. Can totally relate to loving the little monsters, but also loving the time away! Mark and I will definitely raise a few throughout the day in honor of our favorite couple! :)

Love you guys!

p.s. Your post made me teary - not sure why, but I guess it made me a bit nostalgic thinking about all those (looking back now) carefree times...

Sarah said...

Can't wait to hear the weekend recap...hope you guy had a blast!
And at least you were jamming out to something jazzy in your Chicago apartment...I was usually laying on my bed, deep in serious thought, while listening to Sarah McClaughlan (sp?!). Ridic!

Dina said...

Sooooo, are you keeping us in suspense for a reason? I'm dying to hear how it was! :)

Gaby said...

LOVE that song!! Totally agree, dont know what it is..

p.s. Douche who doesnt like the boss :) Which one was it?!?