Sunday, November 2, 2008

A Blog for my Blog

I need one of these, for real.
A place to jot down all of the little moments that happen throughout the day...the observations that are touching and thought-provoking. And then, of course, the over-arching themes that tie it all together. I need an actual, separate blog meant just for these thoughts. That way, when I find myself with actual "time"...I have them ready.
I love when I can come up with ways to string together all of the bits of randomness in my life...or even better, when I can find the alone time to just really write about the best parts of my day. Because that's why I started this blog in the first place--to create a space for the authentic and honest--and often hilarious--moments and observations of my life to be chronicled. Mostly I just want to look back and remember them in all of their vivid messiness.

But lately?
I don't seem to have the time.
Or attention span, maybe. I'm less disciplined with my blogging...and even more with my own train of thought.
Perhaps I'm suffering from a bit of ADD...I wouldn't rule it out, anyway. Especially with what I know about "environment" and its affect on the attention span.
It wouldn't take an educational scholar to figure out why my focus is a bit...oh, how shall we say, EFFED up these days. Just look in the next room--one boy jumping on the train table while he launches trains into the air...the other boy coloring on the floor underneath the train table (wait--it's not as good as it sounds) and TIRELESSLY peppering me with questions about the colors, pictures, nature of and overall meaning embedded within the page of his coloring book.

What I'd like is to be able to effectively convey what this scene tells me about my children...that one, with all of his CHINESE WATER TORTURE-STYLE questions, is likely going to love Philosophy as much as me.
And the other one, with all of his...his....not sure what to call it yet....is nothing like his mom or dad. Except when he squirms and giggles when you snuggle him...that's got his mommy written all over it.

Sadly, though, I seem to struggle with my blog. I see it, hear it even, in my head all the time...but then I open up the link on my computer screen and all I see lately is pictures. And the random "list"--a real favorite of mine...clever, observational, and often funny...but always a mere stand-in for actual thought and substance.

Honestly.
I suck at this.

Time to go clean up milk that has just been squirted out of a sippy all over a sofa chair...and is now dripping onto the carpet*.
I'm so not kidding.

* denotes things that can and always will happen while I blog...five feet away.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Meg, I think your blog is JUST FINE. I agree - sometimes it is when the most "blogworthy" things are going on that you have the least time to write about them. Sometimes, at the end of the day, I just make myself sign in and ask, What will I want to remember about today when I read this in 20 years?

Good to see you Friday!