Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The loose screw

The other morning I went to get Jonathan up and found one of the screws from his crib (a rather large and difficult one to get out without a screwdriver, I might add) lying on the floor next to his blanket and binky. He likes to chuck these overboard when he wakes up..as if to say, "All done. Don't need this shit anymore, I'm ready to rock....now, who's gonna help me outta here?" So, as usual, I laughed when I found him jumping at the end of his crib, totally ready to get the show on the road.

I'm just wondering how in holy he** this kid got that screw out. I thought, perhaps, that I might have jiggled it loose while I was cleaning the other day...but that thought was shortlived. Because after I screwed it back in (tightly!) before his afternoon nap, it magically reappeared on the floor when I came to get him two hours later.

This child is just killing us, one day after the next. Mostly with laughter...but some days utter amazement and awe over his tenaciousness and f**king strength. Just this morning he dragged both of our barstools into the dining room, toppled them over, and then pushed them back into a standing position. I watched the whole thing with my cup of coffee, at the ready in case the big bitches fell on top of him, but he was solid. Had the whole thing under control.
Killed me.

Lately, when I go into check on Jonny before I go to bed at night...and watch him sleeping, I keep picturing that scene from the Superman movie (the one just out a few summers ago). Superman leans over his son at night, while he's fast asleep, and whispers some nonsense about how the son becomes the father, and the father becomes the son...as though he's suddenly becoming aware of his child's power and strength.
Why I've been picturing this scene, I've no idea. Because, like I said...I'm the one leaning over Jonny at night, not Brian.
And Brian wouldn't exactly be Superman in this scenario.
Come to think of it, this is a horrible analogy.

But whatever.
I just think the kid's a total freak.
And I love him so much more for it.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I love when the personality of #2 starts to shine through...so great and fun! Dude he is SOOO the East Wresting Team star of 2022!