Friday, April 23, 2010

The Gender Files

Not finding out "what" we're having this pregnancy has caused a lot of conversation...with friends, family, etc...but mostly with our boys. And every bit of it's been hilarious. So add yet another reason to my ever-growing list of reasons NOT to find out what you're having: witnessing the reasoning in your little ones' heads as they ponder which would be more fun. Or even better--what the name of said child should be.

Today's conversation with Benjamin was so hysterical it made me feel like blogging again. Moments like these...they're the reason I ever did this in the first place, so it's fitting.

Sitting next to me on the front porch and playing "I spy", each of us with a popsicle:

Benjamin: "I think I know what your baby's name should be, Mommy, if it's a girl."
(also hilarious that it's just randomly going to be "my baby"...not his sister or brother, etc.)

Me: "Oh yeah? What do you think?"

Benjamin: (with no trace of humor in his voice) "Peaches."

Me: (forearm over mouth to suppress laughter, so as to get to the next obvious question and have the answer delivered with equal seriousness) "And what if it's a boy? What would we name him?"

Benjamin: (pausing to look at sky while working on popsicle--and then suddenly looking proud of his certainty on the matter) "Grilled Cheese."


Well, OBVIOUSLY that settles that ongoing debate in my head.

No comments: